Saturday, October 8, 2011

Disappointing

Isn't it disappointing when you have high hopes for a book and it lets you down?  I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith a few years ago; it was EXCELLENT!  I loved the way it seamlessly wove together the classic story of Pride and Prejudice with the absurdity of zombie attacks.  It was a quick, fun, zombie filled book.  You can't ask for much more than that.

So I was excited to see Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters on the used shelf at my local bookstore.  I was looking forward to another quick and humorous twist on a classic.  I vaguely remembered that this was by a different author (Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters) but I was excited nonetheless.

I shouldn't have been.  It has been really slow going and the humor just isn't there in this one.  I'm actually considering "putting the book down."  (Gasp!)  I don't usually stop reading things once I've started them.  I like to finish what I've started so I can get the whole story, and so I can say, "Yes, I've read such and such."  Usually, I can grin and bear it through most things, but I'm just not sure about Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.  I'll keep going for a few more days, with a little luck there will be some more sea monster attacks and maybe a bit more interesting storyline.  Maybe...

Do you stop reading things when they don't interest you, or do you try to stick it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment