Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Waiting List

I've been struggling to accept the new "e-book" movement.  (Ok, I know, it's not exactly "new" but I'm really not one to embrace technology until I have to.)  I have a lot of reservations about buying books that I can't actually touch, feel, look at or share.  I love my books, I love my bookshelves full of books, and I love being able to loan out a favorite to a friend because I have it on hand.  But, I'm broke.  And books are expensive.  Some e-books are less expensive than books and, as I've discovered lately, my local library is connected to an online e-book library where you can "borrow" e-books on your "reader" without leaving your house.  Which is a huge bonus when you have an almost-two year old.

The other day I discovered that the Portland library now has a few "nooks" that you can borrow and use for reading e-books.  I thought this would be a good, free, opportunity for me to try out the e-books and the e-book readers.  So I had my husband put me on the list at the library.  I am number 65 in line.  The lady at the lending desk told him she'd see him in a few years. 

So there goes that plan.

I guess I'll be sticking with my real books for a while longer.  Which makes me happy, because I love them so much, but sad, because I'll be stuck waiting for things to become available at the library, or go on sale at my local bookstore.

I really think I need to win the lottery.  Could you imagine a life of unlimited books???  It would be so amazing...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kyla! I just want to say that I enjoy reading your blog posts. It helps me to realize that I'm not the only 'dork' out there. I have a nook and I love it! I got it because you can 'borrow' books from the library without actually having to go there. I don't use that feature a whole though because there isn't a huge list of books to choose from and when I find one that I want there is usually a long waiting list. Borrowing books on the nook is just like borrowing the real thing from the library, they only have so many copies that can be taken out at any given time. I still love my nook though. I have about 50 books on it and have paid for maybe 10 of them, most of them less than $8. It's great when I travel because I don't have to choose which book I want to bring because I can bring them all! Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete