Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Good Grief: A Good Read

Today I finished Good Grief by Lolly Winston.  It was a really good, funny/heart breaking/heart warming story of dealing with grief.  The story is really funny, with a great central character who is really struggling with the loss of her husband.  While at times you feel heart broken for her and the breakdown she suffers, you can't help but enjoy her sense of humor, however dark it may be.

As she slowly starts to recuperate, she reinvents her life and the people she surrounds herself with.  The sense of humor remains, but now it seems like she's laughing at herself right along with you as she tries to deal with giving away her husband's clothes to Goodwill and go back to working, even if it is a waitressing job.

While I hope that I don't encounter that kind of grief for a long, long time, I enjoyed reading about a strong character who did manage to overcome it, laughing about it the whole way through.

(Side Note:  I've decided to stop posting on this blog everyday.  It's not what I originally had in mind, and I wasn't enjoying the way I was writing.  Maybe next year I'll have better luck with NaBloPoMo, but not this year.)

(Another Side Note:  I'm anticipating the arrival of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance in the mail tomorrow, don't expect to hear much from me for the next few days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment