Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Sonnet Lover

So today I finished The Sonnet Lover by Carol Goodman.  It was really, really good, and made for a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.  The story was about Rose, an English Professor at a small New York College, who agrees to go to Italy for the summer to help investigate a mystery surrounding hidden sonnets, the identity of Shakespeare's Dark Lady and the murder of one of her students.  The story has mystery and suspense, as well as love and betrayal, but the best part are the sonnets.  A large part of the plot revolves around trying to connect a story between William Shakespeare and the woman who was the Dark Lady in his sonnets, and a woman in Italy writing sonnets to her lover.

The storyline in this book is really enjoyable, and thoroughly appealed to my dorky English Major past.  The sonnets were beautiful and made me want to pick up a book of Shakespeare's sonnets and spend the rest of my evening immersed in beautiful language.

Books like this make me wish that I could write something creative.  Or even something scholarly.  Anything like that would appeal to my inner dork...

No comments:

Post a Comment