Thursday, November 3, 2011

Collecting Dust

"Books should go where they will be most appreciated, and not sit unread, gathering dust on a forgotten shelf, don't you agree?" -Brisingr, Pg. 289

Well, do you agree?  I think I agree and disagree at the same time.  I absolutely think books belong where and with whom they are appreciated, which is why I have so many of them.  But, I have to admit, many of mine are collecting dust at the moment.  Should I part with them though?  So someone else could enjoy them?  In my case, the answer is no.  At any given time I could decide that I need to have a reunion with Scarlet O'Hara from Gone With the Wind or with Jason Bourne from The Bourne Identity or with any one of about a bazillion characters that live in the pages of the books on my shelves.  I can't part with them.  I just can't do it.

In the interest of clearing up bookshelf space, earlier this year I agreed to part with books that I had multiple copies of.  Even that was frustrating.  What would happen if I loaned out my copy of a certain book and then realized that I needed to re-read it?  I admit, the chances of that happening are pretty slim, which is why I agreed to get rid of my multiple copies....except for the Outlander series....I have doubles of those so I can loan them out.  I think it would be the end of the world if I didn't have at least one copy of Outlander in my house....

So, I guess my final opinion is that if books are sitting on your shelf collecting dust, it should be because you're in love with them and can't bear to part with them...not because you're a hoarder.  I mean, hoarders are crazy....and people who love books and characters that don't exist are...umm....not crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment